Our Lady of Refuge Adult Faith Formation presents:
Summer of Mercy
a 10 week Summer Session Video Series
June 23 through August 25 2016
When: Thursday Evenings starting at 7:00 pm
Where: Our Lady of Refuge Religious Education Center, 5210 Los Coyotes Diagonal, Long Beach
OPEN TO ALL ADULTS (age 18 and over)
No registration - No fee - No commitment needed for the full series
Our Holy Father Pope Francis has dedicated this year as the Jubilee Year of Mercy, so our Adult Faith Formation team has currated a Summer video series that dives into the topic of mercy, with a video presentation and follow-up group discussion. Our series will take two tracks:
- Track 1 will present the Augustine Institute's recently released series Divine Mercy: The Second Greatest Story Ever Told. Follow Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC, on a journey through history to reveal God’s merciful love. This is a 10 episode series that takes a deeper look at our devotion to the Divine Mercy and why it is so important for our age. Each episode is only 20-30 minutes long, allowing us to show two episodes in an evening with discussion after each and a break in between. This track runs every other week starting June 23rd. More information about each episode can be found on this flyer
- Track 2 will alternate with Track 1, presenting one of five selected feature films that demonstrates and challenges our understanding of mercy from the Christian perspective. We will show the film (with a break in the middle) followed by discussion.
Summer of Mercy Schedule:
Week 1 – June 23: Divine Mercy
- Episode 1 – God’s School of Trust
- Episode 2 – Behold, This Heart
Week 2 – June 30: Feature Film
- Of Gods and Men (2010, 101 min) The story of a community of Trappist Monks in 1990’s Algeria. Peace in this North African nation devolves into civil war with radical Islamic forces.
Week 3 – July 7: Divine Mercy
- Episode 3 – The Suffering Servant
- Episode 4 – Faustina and the Spread of Divine Mercy
Week 4 – July 14: Feature Film
- Dead Man Walking (1995, 122 min) Sr. Helen Prejean (played by Susan Sarandon) develops a relationship with Louisiana death row prisoner Matthew Poncelet (played by Sean Penn).
Week 5 – July 21: Divine Mercy
- Episode 5 – Proclaim This Message
- Episode 6 – Fatima
Week 6 – July 28: Feature Film
- Calvary (2014, 101 min) A present day Irish fishing village must confront the clergy sexual abuse scandal and other sins when an unknown penitent goes to Fr. James (played by Brendan Gleeson) in confession to tell him that he is going to kill him next week.
Week 7 – August 4: Divine Mercy
- Episode 7 – The Secret of Divine Mercy
- Episode 8 – God’s Master Plan
Week 8 – August 11: Feature Film
- Unbroken (2014, 137 min) The story of 1936 US Olympic athlete Louie Zamperini who as a bomber pilot during WWII gets captured and interred by the Japanese.
Week 9 – August 18: Divine Mercy
- Episode 9 – Mary’s Knight
- Episode 10 – The Final Question
Week 10 – August 25: Feature Film
- Chocolat (2000, 121 min) Set in 1959, a drifter and chocolatier Vianne Roche (played by Juliette Binoche) and her young daughter find their way to a small French village just in time for Lent.